Monday, July 27, 2009

The Me-ism of Social Networking


One of the biggest trends of the times is the increase in the use of social networks. Social networks are websites and services that bring people together. The biggest ones at the moment are Facebook and Twitter. The sites let people meet up with "Friends" and keep in touch.

Social networking promotes the mindset of me-ism. People feel the need to post every little detail about their life trying to get people to look at me. Look at me, look at what I'm doing/done/thinking, etc. Posts such as "I just finished school, now I'm making a sandwich" try to get the author out there with people focusing on their everyday lives. Twitter is rife with the mundane ramblings of people too caught up in their own self importance. Facebook is the same way, but with more pictures and more quizzes involved.

The problem is that most people aren't even aware of the me-ism of social networking. They happily go about their lives using these tools as a way of socializing, while rarely meeting their "Friends" face-to-face and establishing real relationships. They just assume that everyone they know wants to know what they thought about the drive home or the commercial they just watched. The me-ism is there, but it's subtle.

The Bible teaches us to not focus on ourselves (Romans 12:3). According to a Biblical Worldview, my focus is supposed to be on God (Exodus 33:11), then others (1 Peter 1:22), and THEN me. I should be last in this list. I'm to treat others better than myself (Philippians 2:3-4) . However, the way most people use social networking, the goal is to get others to focus on me rather than me focusing on others.

It's very important to understand that while this snare does exist for everyone, not everyone has fallen into this trap. People use Facebook and Twitter every day to connect with others and see how their friends are doing. The problem is when we use these tools to lift ourselves up rather than to lift Christ and others up. It's something to be wary of. The question you need to ask yourself is "Am I using these tools for the right reasons?" It's a question that has to be answered by the individual. No one else can answer that for you. If you are using them for the right reasons, then keep on using them. If you aren't, you may need to evaluate if you really should be using them at all, or if you should consider stepping away for a period of time. A short break can do wonders for your motives (which is why parents have found that grounding their kids WORKS if used properly).

I implore you to check yourself in this area today. Does using Facebook or Twitter add value to my life? Am I lifting up Christ above all else? Am I lifting up my friends? Or am I just in it for myself? These are questions we all need to ask ourselves not just today and not just on this subject, but at all times.

1 comment:

  1. Amen! Great blog! I agree 100%. Reminds me too much of the 'identity game' people played in high school.

    ReplyDelete